Additional notes (click to expand)
An infusion of the pulverized leaves has been used as an antiemetic to prevent vomiting. The fruits have been eaten raw as a laxative.
Plants for a Future (2015) http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Yucca+baccata link
Family changed from Agavaceae to Asparagaceae.
Plants of the World online, Kew Science http://plantsoftheworldonline.org/taxon/urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:270284-2 link
The saponins all yuccas contain may lead to abdominal disturbance if eaten raw. They are removed by cooking. Said to be very toxic to dogs.
Professor Anthony Dayan, 2022
- Northern America, Mexico, Mexico Northwest
- Northern America, Northwestern U.S.A., Colorado
- Northern America, South-Central U.S.A., New Mexico
- Northern America, South-Central U.S.A., Texas
- Northern America, Southwestern U.S.A., Arizona
- Northern America, Southwestern U.S.A., California
- Northern America, Southwestern U.S.A., Nevada
- Northern America, Southwestern U.S.A., Utah
Yucca baccata Torr.Family: ASPARAGACEAE
Species: baccata Torr.
Common names: Spanish Bayonet; Banana yucca; Spanish Yucca
Distribution summary: Northern America
Hardiness: H4 - Hardy; average winter
Habitat: Rocky slopes, scrub & light woodland
Garden status: Not currently grown
Flowering months: August
Reason for growing: Medicinal, toxic